Monday, April 12, 2010

worst

Aside from the children and husband dying, and the house catching on fire, the very worst thing happened. (This may or may not have a happy ending.)

I was at Winco. With all four children.

The end.

Okay, seriously, another worst thing really happened. At Winco you have to bag your own groceries. I was doing this and then I paid the cashier for my food. I finished loading the bags into the grocery cart, gathered up the kids, walked outside to the parking lot, approached my van and then stopped cold.

I could not find my purse anywhere.

I searched the cart finding nothing and rushed back inside remembering that I had set my purse on top of the middle console where the paper bags are held. I remembered placing the change from the cashier inside my bag before loading the kids to leave. I walked straight to the spot. My purse was not there. I asked the cashier if he had seen it. He had not. I searched my cart again. No purse. Feeling quite frantic but keeping relatively calm, I thought, maybe I had dropped it on the parking lot when I was leaving? I rushed outside again. Nothing. I should mention that I was doing an awful lot of praying. I thought, go back inside and ask customer service if someone had dropped it off. I asked them. Nothing. At this point, I was at a dead end. My purse contained all of our monthly grocery cash, my cell phone, car keys, house keys, and pretty much the whole of our paper existance. I was shaken.

At customer service I wrote down my name just in case and turned around to walk to, well, I didn't really know. Then I saw a lady. She was approaching me very quickly from the other end of the store. And she was holding my purse! As I thanked her, very profusely, relief washed over me so intensely that I couldn't hold back the tears. But get this. She said that someone had left it in a cart outside.

I don't really know what to make of that.

5 comments:

The Hammond Family Blog said...

Keep an eye out for identity theft. Not to make you worry anymore but it only takes a few minutes to get the info they need.

That is a scary feeling!!! Glad you got your purse back though.

Kodie said...

Alright, I am not going to complain about Deacon shoving my preferred card into Albertson's self-checkout machine and losing it. I am so glad you got your purse back!

Hillary said...

That's insane!!!

Annie and Family said...

Ahhhhh! That is one of my recurring nighmares. So sorry that happened. Glad it all turned out. When I was reading your story I thought at first you were going to say you had lost one of your children. I HAVE had that happen and I can tell you I would lose my purse over that any day.

Brooke said...

Ohhhhh. Just the sentence of 4 kids at Winco made me wince(I dread taking my three)! I'm glad that you got your purse back!